On-going, one-to-one Psychotherapy
This is psychotherapy that takes place between just me and you. We will have decided together in the assessment session to work together without a time limit. It is usually offered on a once weekly basis, with sessions lasting fifty-five minutes and taking place at the same time and place each week. However, I am happy to agree to work on a fortnightly basis if this seems appropriate and/or is what your budget demands.
How does it work?
Psychotherapy can only work if the person involved:
· Accepts that they have a problem and that they are centrally involved in creating the problem;
· Has actively sought help for him/herself;
· Is prepared to take a good honest look at him/herself.
Through the relationship with the therapist.
This is of central importance and is used as a means of understanding the particular difficulties being experienced.
This is achieved through making connections between the ‘here and now’ of the therapy and the ‘there and then’ of the past. Symptoms and current life problems begin to be understood in terms of underlying factors, usually less visible, that arose out of significant past relationships and the early environment in which the person lived.
Through making changes:
· gradually beginning to apply understanding and insights, acquired in therapy, to day to day relationships;
· gradually letting go of currently dysfunctional lifestyle, relationship and behaviour patterns.